Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 22:30:41 +0200

> From: Ingo Lohmar <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 20:51:15 +0100
>
> > Emacs development doesn't work by requiring each commit be posted for
> > review as prerequisite for committing, so what Oscar suggests is not
> > possible.  (Please don't ask why, it was explained many times
> > already.)
>
> Do you mean in this thread or elsewhere?

Both.  (This is not the first time these issues are discussed.)

> I would honestly appreciate it if you could point me to such a
> discussion, as I am not aware of the arguments.

In one word: manpower.  In 3 words: lack of manpower.

> In fact, in this very thread, the previous Emacs maintainer
> has contemplated an automatic queueing system, so it surprises me that
> such a scheme should be totally out of the question.

It's not out of the question.  But we are just contemplating it.
Before we could rely on it enough to make significant decisions like
the one discussed here, we'd need stop contemplating, install the
procedures to implement such a queuing system, run it for a while,
perhaps augment it some, until it's reliable enough and brings
consistently good results.  _Then_, and no earlier, we can base
changes in development process on such a system.  We are not there
yet.  Until we are, we need to find a workable solution with what we
have now.

> > Find a better and more reliable way of dealing with the problems
> > described here, and I'll be the first to agree not to reintroduce
> > ChangeLogs.
>
> Several solutions to both a) and b) were proposed in this thread.

Unfortunately, they don't fit the bill.  See the rest of the thread
for why.