Re: [Announce] The new Emacs homepage is online!

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [Announce] The new Emacs homepage is online!
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 10:07:11 -0700

Drew Adams writes:

>> having emacs screenshots with
>> not-the-default theme would help dramatically in indicating how
>> beautiful Emacs can be.  I think the default theme, while "useful" in
>> its minimalism, doesn't convey that.
>>
>> If I look at:
>>   http://tsyesika.se/guix-desktop.png
>>   http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_hy_and_py.png
>>   http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_screenshot.png
>>   http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_wombat.png
>>
>> it feels very clear to me and others I've shown what *potential* there
>> is for a beautiful emacs.  I don't get that impression by showing them
>> stock black-on-white emacs.
>>
>> Even just inverting to white-on-black would look much better.
>
> Seriously?  Beauty, and eye-strain, are apparently in the eye
> of the beholder - at least in part.
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=eye+strain+reading+online+light+dark+background+screen
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+background+color+for+reading+on+computer
>
> No, no need to reply.  Suffice it to say that not everyone would
> agree with you.

I wasn't saying that we necessarily need a light on dark option, though
I think emacs' default theme looks nicer with that one tweak.  But I
like dark on light.  You might notice that one of the links I provided
was to such a theme I used to use:

  http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_screenshot.png

Here's another way to put it: I think the new emacs site is gorgeous.  I
don't think the default emacs theme shown quite lives up to the niceness
that's being shown.

Anyway.  I'm not going to push on it; others have replied more elegantly
on the thread anyway.