Re: Understanding a recent commit in emacs-25 branch [ed19f2]

From: Ingo Lohmar
Subject: Re: Understanding a recent commit in emacs-25 branch [ed19f2]
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 14:18:41 +0200

Hi Alan,

On Sun, Apr 03 2016 12:03 (+0000), Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> It was git that prepared the merge, not me.  What happened was that the
> "more recent" commit 22443312... created a conflict with the commits in
> a git pull.  git, rather than aborting the pull operation, splurged the
> contents of all the other commits in the pull into my working directory,
> saying "Conflict in ....  You need to merge".  I simply merged as
> directed.
>
> Is there a better way out of this situation than just merging as
> directed?  Can one somehow get out of this partially completed git pull,
> then redo it with --rebase?

I am not Paul, but feel competent to answer this.  You can 'git merge
--abort' to return to the previous state.  Then you can 'git rebase
<where-to>', and <where-to> might be sth like 'origin/master'.

But you can avoid all this trouble by not doing 'git pull' in the first
place.  Do 'git fetch --all', and then have a look at 'git log --graph'
as Dmitry suggested (gitk may or may not come with the git package you
use, but the information is essentially the same).

Hope this helps,
Ingo