Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 02:50:31 +0300

On 07/07/2016 10:57 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I just read the bug list and manage my email queue.  How hard can that
be?

A code review system will manage the patch queue for you, organize the discussion, hide the messages related to the code that has changed in the latest revision of the patch while still showing the rest. Maybe your email setup does all that already; mine doesn't.

I don't find the subtle fine points that need addressing
until I actually apply the patch: compiler warnings, code not
according to our conventions, sometimes patch won't apply, etc.

The mature modern code review systems integrate with the VCS, and can check whether the patch applies to the current master (essentially, they check for merge conflicts, since submitting a patchset involves pushing it to a branch), lets you look at the code with the patch applied, review the conventions, run the CI build (which could include a check for compiler warnings, though I admit it's a difficult area), and then allow you to merge the patch with a click of a mouse (or whichever way we choose, in a new package that interacts with the review system's API).

That said, before continuing this discussion, I'd rather we switch to a modern-ish bug tracker first.