Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:09:34 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Davis Herring <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 11:50:43 -0600
>
> > Thanks.  Can you describe the use case(s) where this is important?
>
> I can name one common case: "git rebase", where frequently the file's
> original contents are (eventually) restored exactly.  (A non-interactive
> rebase does this when commits are moved on top of changes to other files.)

I don't understand why Git touches files it doesn't need to change.
It can (and does, AFAIK) compute the checksum of a file to know
whether it changed.

> To me, avoiding the prompt is nice, but retaining the undo list is the
> important part.  (Thanks, Stefan!)  Should it be what is mentioned in NEWS?

AFAIU, the undo records are kept because you don't revert the buffer,
not because of the check.  You could refuse to revert with the current
code, and keep the undo information, right?