Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:47:49 +0000

Hello, Daniel.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:32:42AM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:

> On August 30, 2016 11:30:09 AM PDT, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

[ .... ]

> >> Programs need to be written for the world we inhabit, not the one
> >> we want. Relying on behavior that's usually but not always the case
> >> is antithetical to software robustness.

We build error handling into software.  Coping with non-matching b-c-f
and a-c-f calls is simply error handling.

> >Coming back to the concrete, your proposed way of expressing things
> >would prevent future hackers from using b-c-f and a-c-f together the
> >way that we do.  Is that what you want?

> It doesn't prevent them per second: it just forces them to be more careful.

Your wording would prevent such use, so clearly does it express that
b-c-f and a-c-f frequently don't match.

> I'd prefer that these hooks work the way we both want, but if that's
> not the case, I'd rather not mislead developers. It's not the
> documentation that prevents this use, but the Emacs core

CC Mode works.  The Emacs core does not prevent it working.  Nor does it
prevent your or Phillip's software from working.

You evaded the question, so I'll put it to you again: do you want to
prevent future hackers from  using b-c-f and a-c-f together the way we
do?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).