Re: When should ralloc.c be used?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 09:54:24 -0700

On 10/24/2016 09:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Right, so I'd like your opinion and comments about the possible
solutions proposed so far:

   . Build with gmalloc but without ralloc.

This goes back to what we were doing, no?

   . Back-port the HYBRID_MALLOC changes from master.  Not sure if the
     patch is simple and safe enough, or whether the result is tested
     well enough to have that on emacs-25.

This sounds riskier.

   . Build with gmalloc and use mmap for buffer text allocation.

This also sounds riskier.

How about the attached patch for emacs-25? Basically, it says "use ralloc.c only if requested via './configure REL_ALLOC=yes'". I assume that this patch need not be ported to master, due to HYBRID_MALLOC. I haven't tested this.