Re: 64-bit build on Windows

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: 64-bit build on Windows
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 20:04:04 +0100

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 20:51:47 +0100
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>  AFAIR, the problem with Imagemagick support on Windows is that it can
>  only be supported when linked in statically,
>
> I don't think so. The patch I posted recently shows that emacs can be compiled
> with ImageMagick exactly the same way it is compiled with other dlls.

Can be built before the patch or after the patch?

After the patch.

And after it is
built, will it run on a system where ImageMagick is not installed at
all?

My point is : ImageMagick is made available by dynamically loading 2 dlls.
If they are not installed, then the feature is disabled (as far as I remember).

What happens if the jpeg or xpm or png dlls are not found ?

You see, w32-win.el doesn't have ImageMagick-related DLL names in its
value of dynamic-library-alist, and without that Emacs won't know
which libraries to look for when ImageMagick support is requested.

It is easy enough to add them and if the patch I posted didn't address this issue,
this is my mistake. Because it is certainly needed.

Fabrice