Re: Regarding smerge upper/lower; needs NEWS

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Regarding smerge upper/lower; needs NEWS
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 19:06:26 +0100

On 24 March 2017 at 19:46, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
> Kaushal Modi wrote:
>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=bdfee01a6567b9f08f82bc84d1196e6cb62587ca
> [...]
>> Though, I was surprised to see that this change was not mentioned in NEWS
>> in the master branch.
>>
>> Can you please add that?
>
> I don't find it (renaming with aliases to the old names) NEWSworthy,
> but if you want to add an entry, it's totally fine by me.

I've had plenty of time to think about this and I still don't get
it. Why are we calling the left window UPPER and the right window
LOWER? In the lower pane (the conflicted file for resolution)
they are called "variant A" and "variant B". Shouldn't we call
them that too, so that we know which one is which?