Re: L10N & LC variables

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: L10N & LC variables
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 18:51:39 +0900

> On 27 mai 2017, at 16:59, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> What information would that function return?

Its definition looks like if returns the user set locale. I don't know how to
check what it returns.

>  Does "C-h L" do what you want?

No. C-h L returns what is set within Emacs (English in my case), which as I
mentioned earlier is disconnected from what the OS provides (currently French
as I test this call).

>  If not, what is missing?

And Emacs lisp function that returns the value of what ns_init_locale returns.

> Anyway, I think we should separate the issues related to translation
> infrastructure from issues related to setting the language for
> fetching strings translated into that language.

Absolutely. I started the thread because I wanted to set language strings based
on the user set language preferences but noticed that they were not accessed by
Emacs on a Mac. Once I find a solution for that, I think we can move on since I
guess it is trivial to access such data on gnu/linux (and I have no way to
check that on Windows).

> They are two
> orthogonal problems; in particular, I can easily envision an Emacs
> user wishing to set a language that has nothing to do with the user's
> locale, for example to test some translations.

That's also a possibility I consider. We need to make sure that the Emacs hard
coded default value is overridden by the OS provided value at first install,
and that the user can easily set a language of her choice. But as you say it is
not directly related to l10n.

Jean-Christophe