Some observations about --with-cairo

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Some observations about --with-cairo
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 22:03:55 +0200

Well, just out of interest, I compiled emacs using --with-cairo.
Redraws are unusably slow and partly incorrect and font display is
pretty bad.

That being said,
M-: (with-temp-file "/tmp/frame.pdf" (insert (x-export-frames)))

as a screen dump is, well, interesting.

I append a resulting file from using this in an Info buffer with images.

If you take a look at it in a PDF viewer, you'll notice that the fonts
from this frame dump scale to arbitrary size, in contrast to the
included PNG image.

This could be an interesting starting angle for creating a manual with
included images/screens that do not suffer from rasterization.  Since
the corresponding fonts would likely be included only once, such
"graphics" would actually require very little actual space in the PDF
file.

Also, one could copy&paste from the frames in such a manual, in contrast
to actual raster screen dumps.

--
David Kastrup