Re: i18n/l10n summary

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: i18n/l10n summary
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 11:37:46 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Would it make sense to start collecting all those benchmarks, e.g.
somewhere under test/, so that in due time we will have a sound
body of code

I wouldn't collect microbenchmarks just for the sake of collecting them. They're flaky, and the overhead of collecting them and maintaining the collection is likely greater than any future benefit of having them around. If we want to have a performance testsuite our main problem is building and supporting its infrastructure, not coming up with examples.

If you're interested despite the above disclaimer, here's what I used:

(defun bench-with (n)
  (let ((start (float-time (get-internal-run-time)))
        (i 0))
    (while (< i n)
      (format "%d %s %c" 3 "def" ?‘)
      (setq i (1+ i)))
    (- (float-time (get-internal-run-time)) start)))

(defun bench-without (n)
  (let ((start (float-time (get-internal-run-time)))
        (i 0))
    (while (< i n)
      (setq i (1+ i)))
    (- (float-time (get-internal-run-time)) start)))

(defun bench (n)
  (- (bench-with n)
     (bench-without n)))