docstrings and elisp reference

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: docstrings and elisp reference
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 06:26:07 +0900

I was thinking (naively?) that having the docstrings on one side and the
reference on the other side was not a very efficient way to maintain
documentation. Is everything in the documentation actually written by hand
based on the docstrings? Wouldn't it be nicer to have good docstrings and use
them directly in the documentation to avoid duplication of work? Is there any
reason I'm not seeing why this is not happening?

Jean-Christophe