RE: docstrings and elisp reference

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: docstrings and elisp reference
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 13:36:33 -0700 (PDT)

> >> Having a mechanism that generates automatic documentation (a la
> >> javadoc) would be extremely valuable.
> >
> > It could be valuable, but IMO only if we exercise a lot of discipline
> > in producing those comments.  Because every project which uses this
> > methodology that I looked at ends up providing _abysmally_ inadequate
> > documentation.
>
> +1
>
> Doc strings are for short reference information for single
> functions/variables.
>
> texinfo docs are for more indepth explanations of several related
> functions/features.
>
> They are complementary; they should not duplicate each other.

Yes.

And this is not JavaDoc.  The Elisp manual is not purely
and simply an API reference manual.

And now this question is being rehashed again.  Everything
said this time around has already been said before.  Please
consult the previous thread, which was already cited.

(If you feel you really have something *new* to say, feel free.)