Re: best workflow with git ?

From: Ingo Lohmar
Subject: Re: best workflow with git ?
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 17:40:48 +0200

Hi Jean-Christophe,

On Sun, Jun 11 2017 00:04 (+0900), Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> I got the repository from Savannah and each time I want to update it I
> do a "git pull origin master". If I have worked on some files before
> that I usually get a message asking me to commit my files otherwise
> they'd be overwritten. Since I'm not pushing anything to Savannah I
> feel that committing to the local Master is useless and will only
> create discrepancies between my repository and Savannah.

if you only update to "have" the changes in your repository (not in your
working tree), you could just substitute "pull" by "fetch" (try it -- no
danger at all).

If you are working on changes you plan to submit later, committing to
your local master (or a branch, if you prefer) is perfectly fine.  You
can still add changes to such commits later, if you have not yet pushed
them out.

It can also help to change your point of view: After all, the
"discrepancies" between your repository and Savannah are not a problem
to avoid --- they are the essence of your work. :)  Local commits are
just a more powerful and flexible way to handle these changes (compared
to changing files in your working tree).

HTH,
Ingo