Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:41:50 -0400

> So with that in mind, I came up with an implementation of a native
> display of line numbers.

Cool!

>   . it works significantly faster (almost twice as fast as linum-mode,
>     50% faster that relative-line-numbers-mode)

Should I read this to me that the speed difference w.r.t nlinum is not
that large, or you didn't bother comparing?  (I think nlinum's
performance is pretty good (well, as long as the number of overlays doesn't
get in the way, as long as you don't try to push it towards
relative-line-number, as long as you don't enable the new
nlinum-highlight-current-line which currently has a performance bug,
...)).

>   . it works with R2L text, something the old modes never did

I didn't know there were problems with R2L text.  Worse: even now that
you tell me, I can't think of nor find a problem with it (other than the
choice of whether to display the line numbers in the left or right
margin).

I'm curious what these issues are (or were, since your code will
presumably make these limitations irrelevant).

        Stefan