Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:40:28 +0300

> From: Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 04:27:38 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  The menu bar is for simple uses, I see no reason to put all the
>  complexity of a defcustom on the menu bar.
>
> The toggle-display-line-numbers is an interactive function though. So someone
> can unknowingly bind it to a
> key to toggle line numbers and get confused why their setting to show
> relative line numbers is getting lost. It
> also needs a doc-string saying that that function is only for use from the
> menu bar, and point the user to look
> at display-line-numbers var instead to do what they want. Also if that
> function is intended to be called only from
> the menu bar, should it be prefixed with "menu-bar-"? It would go against the
> convention used in that file, but it
> adds clarity.

I think I'll leave it to someone else to improve the interactive
customization facilities, once the feature lands on master.  I'm not
really good with that stuff, so I think I will provide the
infrastructure and the initial customization capabilities, and let
others pick up where I left off.

Thanks again for the feedback.