Re: Native display of line numbers, improved

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers, improved
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:58:56 +0200

> Is there a use case for displaying line numbers in a window rather
> than in all windows displaying a specific buffer?

No.  But I don't use line numbers so I can't tell.  I came to think
about it because you started to care specially about the minibuffer and
tip frames and I thought that a solution where adding such special cases
in a more genral way might be useful---just like we do with scroll bars,
margins or fringes which all exist on a per window basis.

> The code is already involved enough, and every additional sub-feature
> makes it a bit slower and less clear.  So if there are no valid use
> cases for this, I'd like to wait until they come up, before coding
> this.

Sure.  Eventually, it's up to the design of the user interface.

martin