Re: Please explain the FSF copyright assignment thing

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Please explain the FSF copyright assignment thing
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 14:08:58 -0500

Filipe Silva <address@hidden> writes:
>Ok. I get that. But why, why it is legally required? What harm will
>descent upon us all if an official component of emacs is distributed
>which hasn't had it's copyright assigned to FSF?

Well, there's a complex legal history here that I don't know the full details
of.

However: You can imagine that if the FSF starts distributing some code (say,
part of Magit) and then one of the authors of that code suddenly says "Wait, I
never actually said that my code was distributable under GPL-3.0d; you don't
have my permission to do this!" then the FSF finds itself in the position of
infringing someone's copyright.

Or suppose the FSF has to enforce the copyright of Emacs in court for some
reason.  It can only do that if it is the copyright holder.  Therefore, in
preparation for possible future outbound enforcement, the FSF would like to
first make sure it *is* the copyright holder.

I am not a lawyer, and I can't say whether these fears/goals are realistic.
Many free software projects -- most, I think -- have moved away from copyright
assignment, and toward other mechanisms, such as "developer certificate of
origin" (DCO).  There is also an intermediate thing called a Contributor
Licensing Agremeent (CLA) that doesn't actually transfer copyright, but still
makes the necessary promises to reassure the receiving party (who is also the
redistributing party).

This topic is complex.  You can read

https://julien.ponge.org/blog/developer-certificate-of-origin-versus-contributor-license-agreements/
  https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2014/jun/09/do-not-need-cla/

about CLA versus DCO.  The FSF is one of the few project stewards to still ask
for an actual assignment of copyright.  I'm not sure why they do, but they've
been asked before and their continued insistence on doing it is probably based
on some kind of experience.  The topic only comes up several times a year on
this list alone :-).

Best regards,
-Karl