Re: Emacs 25.2, win64, env vars

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 25.2, win64, env vars
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 17:48:42 +0300

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 22:02:03 +0200
> Cc: Noam Postavsky <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>  Ping! If we want to fix this problem, please tell the details about
>  how the MSYS2 Bash causes it. If not, let's decide that we don't
>  want to fix it.
>
> I thought my previous answer was pretty explicit.

Sorry, it's probably my misunderstanding.

> MSYS2 bash implements a case sensitive environment, which is different from
> the native win32 environment.
> If emacs is started from the bash command line, it inherits this environment.

So you are saying that MSYS holds two separate environment variables,
one called "temp", the other "TEMP"?  If so, what do native Windows
programs started from such a shell get in their environment?  The
upper-case one? the first one in the order? both? something else?

> I would even recommend that emacs inherits from the desktop environment, not
> the environment from the
> shell that was used to run emacs.

I expect this to break quite a few legitimate use cases.