Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numb

From: Jose Arroyo
Subject: Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numbers are shown.
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 10:25:08 +0200

As an Emacs user that constantly forgets which is which, I love this proposal.

On 29 Sep 2017 9:03 am, "Colin Baxter" <address@hidden> wrote:
I do not like this proposal.

    > When mode-line line numbers are on by themselves, L<line-num>
    > appears.  When mode-line column numbers are on by themselves,
    > C<col-num> appears.  When both are on, (<line-num>,<col-num>)
    > appears.

    > The latter is inconsistent and always forces the user to remember
    > which is the line and which is the column number.

There are many things about emacs to remember. Surely, a single
depression of an arrow key is sufficient to remind the forgetful.

I disagree, that is a weak argument. This is a situation where we can make it so that reading both line and column number takes zero cognitive effort and zero key presses.
The solution is simple and self evident. There is no cost for this change. Just be consistent with how these numbers are displayed by themselves.

    > simple, simply remove the parentheses which are no longer needed
    > and add the prefix character to each number for:
    > L<line-num>,C<col-num>. This makes the display perfectly
    > consistent, easier to read and does not take up any more character
    > space.

With respect, that is a matter of opinion. I find the parenthesis useful
delimiters on the mode-line. Besides, they are present for features
other than line-column numbers.

If it is a matter of opinion, I wanted to take the time to show my support for this patch. At the very least I'd like to be able to toggle it.

Thanks for the proposal,

José M