Re: windows installer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:37:00 +0200

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 16:42:41 +0700
> Cc: Drew Adams <address@hidden>, Jostein Kjønigsen <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       Phillip Lord <address@hidden>
>
> Being on the PATH is not a necessary condition. In the case of a
> single user-facing binary, it is more efficient to register it on the
> App Paths registry key.
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee872121(v=vs.85).aspx

This has its own problems: it requires changing the Registry if you
want to modify the setting.  Also, will it work from the shell prompt?
I'm not sure.  More generally, the above documentation talks about
ShellExecuteEx, but that's not the only way programs are executed on
Windows.

Personally, I find all those fancy methods to be unnecessary
complications at best, and a source of subtle problems at worst.  PATH
is there, and if needed, can be customized per user as well.  If
nothing else, it makes the dialog easier between Windows users and
Emacs developers who are only familiar with Posix hosts.  So why would
we want to advise users to use those Windows-specific features?  I see
no compelling reasons.