Re: Where is the code for the Emacs server in the core?

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Where is the code for the Emacs server in the core?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 17:00:39 +0000

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 10:51:55AM -0500, George Plymale II wrote:
> > The Mac port doesn't support multi-tty with GUI.  The developer has no
> > idea how to detach Emacs as a GUI application from Window Server or
> > Dock without separating a GUI process (not thread) from the main Emacs
> > (Lisp evaluator) process.  TTY-only multi-tty is supposed to work.
>
> That is Yamamoto Mitsuharu's statement on why multi-tty is not supported
> on the Emacs Mac Port. Does plain GNU Emacs have this problem? If so,
> how does it get around or solve it? I have to assume that plain GNU
> Emacs is also attached to the Window Server or Dock as well so I'm
> wondering if there's something I'm missing.

I’m not sure this is relevant, but if you do this on the NS port:

     Open GUI instance
     start server
     run ‘emacsclient -t’ in the terminal
     close GUI frame

You can’t open a new GUI frame, even though the GUI instance with the
server is still running. You can see it in the dock, and access the
menus, but I can’t find any way to create a new frame.

So while it works, it’s not perfect.

I don’t know what we do differently from the Mac port.
--
Alan Third