Re: Make Message more RFC compliant

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make Message more RFC compliant
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 16:27:55 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 15:04:10 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I don't understand why we need to remove the support code.  Making the
> > variable obsolete is OK, but if there's someone out there whose bad
> > habits die hard, or who needs to communicate with some weirdo mail
> > software that requires this obsolete format, why not let them do it?
> >
> > Or am I missing something?
>
> Well, sending emails with the old format is now apparently in violation
> ("SHOULD") of the relevant RFCs, and I think Emacs should be
> standards-compliant when talking to other systems, and not generate
> invalid emails.

Sorry, I'm not convinced.  If the user insists on using deprecated
features, I see no reason to prevent them just because some RFC says
SHOULD.  Our defaults should not generate invalid or frowned-upon
headers, but that and the obsolescence of the variable is more than
enough for us to be OK with the standards.