Re: Should this package be included into the NS port?

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Should this package be included into the NS port?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 10:50:28 +0100

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 05:21:38PM -0400, George Plymale II wrote:
> > * Application Menu
>
> > When the last NS frame is deleted the menus aren’t updated, so I think
> > they’ll be the menus as defined for the last frame. They should
> > probably be cut right back to just the ‘Emacs’ menu, and perhaps
> > ‘help’.
>
> Won't those menus just get updated once a new frame is created? I'm not
> exactly sure what the implications of this are.

Yes, they will, but it’s still messy. You end up with menus that do
absolutely nothing.

> > Is there some other way of creating a new GUI frame? I assume there
> > must be since emacsclient can do it.
>
> I suppose you must be right that there's another way to do it, but I
> don't know what that would be. I could try and dig around in the code if
> you'd like.

I was hoping someone who knew would read this and give me a pointer in
the right direction. If not I’ll get round to it at some point. :)

> > * ALSO!
>
> > Closing the terminal frame when there are no GUI frames left results
> > in a crash. I guess Emacs doesn’t think it needs to clean up the NS
> > stuff or something? I don’t really know what’s going on there.
>
> Strange, I don't see a "crash" in the Emacs Mac Port. I don't notice any
> abnormal exit status, error, or system popup, if that's what you mean. I
> don't know what could be going on there either, but I'm tending to think
> that we need to follow the Emacs Mac Port's example in at least some of
> these instances.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Mac port is a completely
different code base than the NS port. The Mac port was originally
written for the Carbon API, and the NS port for NeXTSTEP (now Cocoa
and GNUstep).

They do share some things (most notably macfont.m), but it’s not a
given that something broken in one will be broken in the other, or
that the code can be copied directly between them.
--
Alan Third