Re: Three cheers for Eli!

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Eli!
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 19:29:51 -0400

  > I thought that GNU projects are rather in the intersection of "free
  > software" (in FSF sense) and open-source.  That sentence confuses me.

Every GNU package satisfies the practical criterion of open source.
However, "open source" also stands for ideas which disagree deeply
with the ideas of the free software movement.  (That was no accident:
it was intended for that purpose.)

Thus, simply describing a GNU package as "open source" is likely to
give people a very clear, but incorrect, idea of what we're trying to
do.

--
Dr Richard Stallman