Re: movemail location

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: movemail location
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 16:03:06 -0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 14:02:50 -0300

>> Starting with 26.1, we have configured the Emacs package on FreeBSD to use
>> GNU Mailutils.  However, now that
>> $PREFIX/libexec/emacs/26.1/amd64-portbld-freebsd11.1/movemail is not
>> installed, we have received
>> reports that Gnus, for example, gives an error about not finding movemail.
>> There are a few different workarounds like patching, creating a link, or
>> asking users to set `mail-source-movemail-program'.  Am I
>> missing a configuration option, so that we don't require any of these
>> workarounds?

> Is movemail from Mailutils on PATH?  if so, how come Gnus doesn't find
> it, it should find it when it invokes it through call-process.

> Can you spot why this doesn't work?

Hello Eli,

Yes, movemail is in PATH.  I think the problem is explained in Robert's
first post of bug 31737 that Paul linked to.  That is, movemail is first
searched for in `mail-source-movemail-program', which is nil by default,
then under `exec-directory', where movemail is no longer installed.

Joseph