Re: movemail location

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: movemail location
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 17:59:47 +0300

> From: Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 23:45:33 -0300
>
> >> Robert's suggestion [1] sounds reasonable.
>
> >> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31737#15
>
> > And mine doesn't?  If so, could you say why?
>
> Let's make sure we are on the same page.
>
> This is what Robert suggested.
>
> "Perhaps gnus should check in 'exec-directory' first if
> mail-source-movemail-program is nil, and then fall back to
> 'executable-find'? Or perhaps we should just forget about 'our' movemail
> and require people to install Mailutils.
>
> I think you are suggesting that Gnus simply specify the executable name,
> movemail, and PATH will take care of finding it.  Is that correct?
> Assuming that works, that also seems reasonable.  The only possible
> drawback could be for users who specify a value for
> `mail-source-movemail-program'.  Won't that value be ignored?

Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  My suggestion is to replace
this:

                      (apply
                       'call-process
                       (append
                        (list
                         (or mail-source-movemail-program
                             (expand-file-name "movemail" exec-directory))
                         nil errors nil from to)))))

with this:

                      (apply
                       'call-process
                       (append
                        (list
                         (or mail-source-movemail-program "movemail")
                         nil errors nil from to)))))

Since call-process calls the moral equivalent of executable-find
internally, calling executable-find during initialization is
redundant: call-process will find movemail on exec-path; moreover,
Robert's suggestion will not work if movemail was installed or moved
after mail-source.el was loaded.

Did I succeed to explain myself this time?