Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; up

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; update syntax during match
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:18:54 -0700

>> Truthfully, my biggest interest is in seeing the default regex syntax
>> migrate to something much more modern, and that can be done
>> regardless of which engine we use.
>
> Not only that: changing the engine won't help in changing the syntax.

Right. Anyone is free to experiment with changing read-regexp today. I
think a combination of rx input with paredit* for easier editing might
work pretty well, maybe with a mode key to distinguish input modalities.

(Which gets me into more about how isearch should have multiple orthogonal
modes sharing history, not a hard distinction between the literal and
regexp cases.)

* or whatever structured editing package people use today