Re: list-threads

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: list-threads
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:48:45 +0300

> From: Gemini Lasswell <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:38:06 -0700
>
> I've just pushed an update to the scratch/list-threads branch which
> includes:
>
> - lisp/thread.el, the new home for thread-related Lisp functions.
>
> - A 'b' command in the *Threads* buffer which shows a backtrace of where
>   the thread at point had yielded or was blocked at the moment you
>   pressed 'b'.
>
> - Documentation and a NEWS entry.
>
> - Tests.

Thanks.

A few of comments:

 . I'm not sure the section bout list-threads should be in the ELisp
   manual.  It's a user command.  OTOH, list-processes is also
   described in the ELisp manual, hmm...

 . But if we decide to leave this section where it is, then it should
   behave like any other section in that manual, which means variables
   are described with @defvar.

 . Please add a cross-reference to the section where make-thread is
   described where you tell that the thread's name comes from that
   call.  Info manuals should always cross-link to the description of
   each major topic when they refer to it, because people frequently
   read the manual out of order.

 . "Send a signal to the thread" is slightly misleading, because it
   can be interpreted as talking about OS signals.  Suggest to use
   "signal the thread" instead.  I'd also qualify that what each
   thread does for each of the 2 signals is entirely up to the thread
   (default is to exit on any signal).

 . This text is slightly inaccurate:

    Be aware that by the time you see the backtrace, the thread
    may have resumed execution, and be in a different section of
    code, or be completed.

   I would rephrase like this:

    Be aware that the backtrace is a snapshot; the thread could have
    meanwhile resumed execution, and could be in a different state, or
    could have exited.

 . Will the new function backtrace--frames-from-thread (and its
   subroutines) compile and work in an Emacs configured without
   threads?  If not, they should be conditioned by THREADS_ENABLED.

 . Finally, I think the NEWS entry should be a bit longer, and should
   say this is a new command.