Re: Some developement questions

From: hw
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 22:10:35 +0200

> hw <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Tramp can be extremely finicky,
>
> Whenever you have this feeling, pls report in detail. Sometimes, it
> might be a bug, sometimes, the doc needs an improvement.

Well, I don't really know the datails; only sometimes I need to run
(tramp-cleanup-all-connections) when it somehow gets screwed up.

Last time, it blocked me entirely when it tried to create a backup file
and couldn't do that because file permissions did not allow it.  I was
forced to either kill Emacs or change permissions so it could create the
file.  After that, I changed the backup directory for tramp and found
out that cleaning up all the connections is not enough to have this
change applied; I had to kill the buffer and visit the file again for it
to work.

So at least for one case, here are the details, but I won't call it a
bug, only something that could be improved upon, like check permissions
before creating backups and prompt what to do when permissions do not
allow to create one, and applying a change of the backup directory right
away to all connections, or prompt the user if the change should be
applied to all of them now.

That was Emacs 24.x, on Centos, so perhaps this has already been
changed.