Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 16:05:05 +0300

> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 02:16:40 +0100
> From: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>
> In my view, the non-main threads asking for user interaction should be a
> rarity.

This would be an unfortunate limitation, since it means people will
need to write code intended to run in non-main threads specially.  As
a corollary, many existing Lisp programs will have to be significantly
rewritten to fit this scheme, before they can be safely run
concurrently with some foreground job done by the main thread.  The
proverbial example is to be able to run Gnus in a non-main thread so
that its slow reading of the newsgroups would not block Emacs.

> Ideally, the main thread should do all the interaction that is
> necessary, and then spawn the sub-threads with all the information
> they need.

I think this will be hard to do in Emacs, given the abundance of
global state.