Re: Some developement questions

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 03:33:56 +0200

hw <address@hidden> writes:

> > Emacs cannot guess for the user when she needs or does not need a menu
> > bar or a tool bar.  You have to instruct it to, somehow.
>
> Can I do that per mode?  So I could have them automatically enabled when
> in info mode and automatically disabled when not?  Emacs could
> automatically remember the last setting for each mode I used, so no
> additional instructing would be necessary.

Before considering that, note that you don't need to use the menu bar to
access the menu bar menu.  You can make the menu accessible as a pop up
menu like in

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun my-mouse-menu-bar-menu ()
  (interactive)
  (popup-menu `("Do" ("Menu Bar" ,@(mouse-menu-bar-map)))))

(global-set-key [(control down-mouse-3)] #'my-mouse-menu-bar-menu)
#+end_src

or use a text interface to access the menu - there is a builtin one
called `tmm-menubar'.  Some external packages provide different (maybe
more convenient) interfaces, e.g. Helm or Icicles.

Michael.