[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: master da4e5f6: Simplify use of timestamps

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master da4e5f6: Simplify use of timestamps
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 15:05:50 -0700
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.9.1

Glenn Morris wrote:

This causes test icalendar--create-uid to fail.

Argh, that test is fooling around with internal implementation details that it has no business looking into. I fixed it to stop doing that by installing the first attached patch.

(BTW, make -j8 check takes 22 seconds here, so not a big burden to run
after making a change.)

Yes, I normally run those tests, though they take 36 seconds on my older machine. Don't know why I forgot to do it this time; sorry about that.

By the way, 'make check' routinely fails on my platform (Fedora 28 x86-64) on master, and this is a bit discouraging. Does it fail for you? lisp/progmodes/flymake-tests.log and lisp/epg-tests.log are common failures, but there are others on occasion. It's getting so that I sometimes don't notice real failures.

I haven't looked at this in any detail, so this comment could be
rubbish, but if this causes a change in the on-disk file names Gnus uses
for maildir, that could be bad, no?

The timestamp is used as part of a nonce, as 'time' was set to (current-time) a few lines earlier. So although the patch might change the on-disk file name (by padding a microseconds count less than 100,000 with leading "0"s) I don't see how that would cause trouble; anybody later needs to grab the file by its name anyway, and will get that name either from this code or by looking at the containing directory.

That being said, you're right that this is a change. And it's one that I overlooked, because I didn't notice that the old code didn't pad with leading "0"s. Since it's only a trivial simplification I undid it by installing the second attached patch. Although this doesn't entirely revert the change, since the old code had some unnecessary stuff about checking that (current-time) returns a list of four items, it does make the file names byte-for-byte equivalent to the old code.

Attachment: 0001-Fix-icalendar-tests-to-match-new-behavior.patch
Description: Text Data

Attachment: 0002-Go-back-to-old-method-for-nnmaildir-names.patch
Description: Text Data

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]