Re: Auto-installing packages?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Auto-installing packages?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 17:16:23 +0100

>   > And, yet, the mantra is "ELPA is Emacs". It requires copyright
>   > assignment (with all the intense pain that this entails), the files say
>   > "part of Emacs" and so forth.
>
>   > So, for the case of Emacs and ELPA installing over the network vs
>   > pre-packaged is, I think, merely technical.
>
> That is a valid point, in the case of GNU ELPA.
>
> But would that facility be limited to GNU ELPA?

If we wanted to release a stripped-down Emacs, which auto-installed a
pre-configured set of packages from ELPA, then I assume that you would
insist that it would be, for reasons of copyright if nothing else.

> Or would it also be used with other package archives
> that are not part of Emacs?

Emacs already has the ability to do this, but it is up to the user to
choose to do this.

Phil