Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 12:18:53 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Emacs Lisp uses backslashes in many other situation, like ?\", and
therefore the mere fact that there is a backslash doesn't necessarily
alert the human reader to the existence of an unusual character.

Yes, the solution I proposed addresses only symbols, not the more-general problem of confusable characters in strings and characters. Although symbols are a more significant issue since they occur more often, it would be nice to address strings and character constants too. We can do that by adding support for a new string escape \cX for the confusable character X (e.g., ?\c՚ would mean U+055A ARMENIAN APOSTROPHE), and by diagnosing the use of unescaped confusable characters in strings and character constants.