Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 13:14:02 -0400

>> Some time (two years) ago I volunteered to replace lots of the `pcase'
>> occurrences in the Emacs sources (back) to cl-case where possible.

You're suggesting changing

    (pcase X
      ('a (fooa))
      ('b (foob))
      ...)

with

     (cl-case X
      (a (fooa))
      (b (foob))
      ...)

?

>> Lots of people wanted this because they found understanding pcase
>> expressions hard.

In what sense is the above cl-case more clear than the pcase equivalent?
I'm not saying the pcase version is better in those cases, but I think
the respective advantages and disadvantages pretty much balance out.

        Stefan

PS: In case anyone still doubts it, I'm opposed to replacing `pcase` uses
with `cl-case` uses.  I think it'd be at best a waste of time.