Re: Performance degradation from long lines

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Performance degradation from long lines
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:02:30 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 20:27:10 -0400
>
> AFAIK there are *several* unrelated features that can cause very serious
> slow downs in the presence of long lines.  So we need to attack them one
> by one.

"Attack" in what sense?  If you mean something similar to what so-long
mode does, i.e. turn off those features, then I think we should simply
add that mode to core Emacs.  If you mean something else, please give
some idea regarding the "attack" approach.

Personally, I think any real solution (as opposed to band-aids) of
this issue should "attack" the root cause.  (Not that I'm opposed to
having band-aids as interim solutions as long as we don't have
anything better.)  So if someone is interested, I can describe in more
detail the root cause for the slow redisplay in these cases.