Re: `move-end-of-line' in `rectangular region': `goto-longest-line'

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: `move-end-of-line' in `rectangular region': `goto-longest-line'
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:20:17 +0100

Le 30/10/2018 à 12h49, Eli Zaretskii a:
>> (btw cua-rect isn’t autoloading, requires loading cua-rect/mode
>> first)?
>
> cua-rectangle-mark-mode is autoloaded here.  Did you try that?

No, thanks

>> And what about without cua-mode
>
> You don't need CUA mode to activate cua-rectangle-mark-mode.

Okay, CUA-* looks pretty fancy and complex though: different region
highlight color, new keybindings…  Why can’t that be done with normal,
simple rectangle-mode?

Also I’m not sure but it seems to behaves strangely with undo history
(sometimes only some lines are reverted instead of all, etc.).

>> From: "Garreau\, Alexandre" <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 11:24:11 +0100
>>> cua-rect can do that.
>>
>> How?
>
> Activate cua-rectangle-mark-mode via M-x, and then move cursor, in
> particular beyond the last character of a line.  You will see what it
> does right away.

No it doesn’t: it copy invented blank characters as well (and there’s no
way to go at the same column as the last of the longest line of the
region).  However at some point, using some combinations of actions or
of the specified new (8!?) proposed temp keybindings, I succeeded in
having a line ends different for each line of the rectangle (at least it
was hightlighted to suggest so).