Re: [ELPA] New package proposal: visual-path-abbrev.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package proposal: visual-path-abbrev.el
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 16:52:56 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> However, there's a problem with the conditional 'display spec which
>> should in theory un-abbreviate the file name as soon as point enter's
>> the overlay's region.  Oftentimes that doesn't happen until I
>> explicitly force a redisplay with C-l or M-x.
>>
>> Is there a good way to cope with that?
>
> Would it be possible for you to post a small test file that could be
> used to show-case this package, and where you see this problem?  I'd
> like to look into why that happens, and would appreciate a cooked test
> case for doing this.

You don't have to have a special file.  For me, this simple recipe did
the trick:

1. emacs -Q
2. M-x load-file RET visual-file-name-abbrev.el RET
3. M-x rgrep RET (defsubst RET *.el RET ~/Repos/el/emacs
4. In the *grep* buffer: M-x visual-file-name-abbrev-mode

As a result, the file names are indeed abbreviated but when I move up
and down using C-n/C-p, I'd expect the file name under point to be
displayed normally (so not the 'display spec but the normal text).  With
emacs -Q, the problem is even worse than with my usual config.  It seems
the conditional display spec is almost never tested, except when the
window is scrolled, but then usually after scrolling point is not on the
file name anymore which is now shown unabbreviated.

Bye,
Tassilo