Re: Emacs i18n

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:35:30 +0900

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 10:33, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 3/6/19 11:49 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> We are miscommunicating: I meant strings passed to 'message' and its ilk,
>> not just any kind of strings.
>
> In that case, the solution that Richard proposed should suffice for most
> cases. That is, in most cases we shouldn't need to change the Elisp source
> code; all we need is for xgettext (or its equivalent) to consider the first
> argument of 'message' to be a translatable string. This is a standard feature
> of xgettext (see its --keyword argument).

Yes but... The first argument of message is often a lisp expression that
generates natural language strings programatically. That part will have to be
modified (although far from perfect, please check what I did on packages.el if
what I wrote above is not clear).

ps: what is the proper way to reply to this list ? Keep everybody in Cc or
remove the Cc and only keep the list address ?

Jean-Christophe Helary