Re: Emacs i18n

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 23:18:56 -0500

  > But 'message' is just a representative of a class of such functions.
  > There are others: 'signal', 'error', 'user-error', 'princ', 'format',
  > and probably some more I'm missing.  So the actual number of
  > occurrences is larger than the 40 you found.

Some of them should be handled in the same way as 'message'.  But not
'format' -- it can be used for various things and some should not be
translated.

  > I guess I'm saying that we should think some more whether we indeed
  > want to give up marking translatable strings

Of course we need an explicit way to mark translatable strings -- but
we should also adopt short cuts (like recognizing first arg of
'message') so that a large fraction of these strings don't need to be
explicitly marked.

If we are going to handle translation, this is the obvious best way,
so let's not worry about the precise details.  It will get done.

--
Dr Richard Stallman