Re: [ELPA] New package proposal: visual-path-abbrev.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package proposal: visual-path-abbrev.el
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 13:52:18 -0500

>> Another option might be to use cursor-sensor-mode to open/close those
>> abbreviations.
> Hm, that also sounds good.  Is cursor-sensor-functions only a text
> property or can I also add that to my overlay?

Either way should work.

Note that your current method has the advantage that it (presumably)
automatically works "right" when the buffer is displayed in multiple
windows (where the "reveled" part in one window isn't revealed in the
other).  Doing the same by activating/deactivating overlays is
more painful.

> How'd I do the uncollapsing in my cursor-sensor-function?  Delete the
> overlay on 'entered and add it again on 'left?

I'd just move its `display` property to another property and then back
(I'd keep the overlay to detect when you leave).

> Ok, great.  Then I'll commit it as soon as I've tried out
> cursor-sensor-mode and decided if that's a better approach.

I see you committed something but haven't had time to look at it yet.
Thanks,

        Stefan