Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 14:58:07 -0400

On 14/03/2019 02.40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 04:02:24 +0100
>> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> 1) In the graphical mode the character I use now (?\u2502) does not look
>> like a vertical line (there is a small vertical space between them so
>> the line now looks like with ?|); in terminal it looks fine.
>
> It looks fine with the default font I use here in GUI frames: no
> vertical space between lines.  So this obviously depends on the font
> used for the indicator character.

Sorry for jumping in late without having followed the whole discussion.  Here's
a naive question: is there any reason to use an actual glyph from a face to
draw that line, rather than just a continuous line?

A good analogy might be the way window separators ("vertical borders") are
drawn: when I use a non-graphical Emacs it uses a series of '|' characters to
draw separations between windows, but when I use a graphical Emacs (with
scroll-bars-mode off) it draws a solid black line, or at least that's what I
understand from e.g.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-01/msg00257.html.

Sorry if I missed something obvious.
Clément.