Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Alp Aker
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:19:04 -0400

How do you produce a line-height tall image glyph?  Maybe I'm missing
something, but I think we can only display image glyphs whose height
is fixed and determined by the image, or by its slice whose dimensions
are determined by a suitable display property, i.e. computed in
advance of redisplay.

But in any case, if such an image with dynamically computed height can
be produced reasonably easily by the display engine itself, what you
propose is a trivial extension of the code presented here: we just
need to replace the character glyph by an image glyph.

I did not have a dynamically sized images in mind, only fixed-height images.  They offer a way of achieving the graphical effect that some people in this thread have requested that would involve, as you point out, only a trivial extension of what Ergus has already done.

Would lack of support for variable line heights be an issue?  I can only offer my experience here as the author of fill-column-indicator.  Among the many issues that package has, lack of support for variable line heights in a window hasn't been one of them.  It just isn't something users have requested.

I'm sure users will find customizing a character much easier than
customizing an image.  In any case, I wouldn't give up on allowing a
character, even if we do support images, because there's no reason to
restrict users to images.  For example, a suitable selection of a
character could produce identical displays on GUI and TTY frames,
something that an image could never do.

A choice between image and character was what I had in mind.  (If a buffer is displayed on both GUI and TTY frames, you can even use both at the same time, which is what fci-mode does.)

I wouldn't expect end users to create their own images.  Again, I can only offer my own experience, but the only customization requests I've received have been for (a) color, (b) thickness, and (c) dashed vs. solid.  Those can be offered as simple customization options.  Arbitrary user defined images are possible on this scheme, but wouldn't be the basic mode of customization.