Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Tadeus Prastowo
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 13:46:10 +0100

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:31 PM Philippe Vaucher
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I believe this whole discussion is basically this: the ones who are used
>> > to a gitlab workflow see the obvious benefits, and the ones who only use
>> > the email workflow don't see what's so great about it because they always
>> > find a manual/configuration-heavy way to achieve the same.
>> >
>> > I think the manual/configuration-heavy way is not very smooth and makes
>> > _you_ work instead of the tools, when this effort could be better spent
>> > improving Emacs.
>>
>> IMO, that point is moot when we are talking about making contributions
>> to Emacs.  Instead of an RFE to migrate to gitlab, an RFE for a
>> package that, for example, enhances Emacs bug reporting so that it
>> becomes a CI tool would be better, no?
>

> Well, an Emacs custom-made CI tool will never be as complete, time-tested,
> maintainted (etc) than a tool that is used by hundred of thousands of users.

No one knows what the future holds.  Aside from that, the point of
getting tested by being "used by hundred of thousands of users" is
moot, especially for Emacs whose users are accustomed to fixing things
themselves ;)

> Also if any of these gitlab/github/etc users want to contribute to Emacs, the
> time to start being "productive" is very low because they are used to this
> workflow (and most of them are not used to the mailing list workflow).

Then, they are free to have their own gitlab page, much like when
distros maintain their own set of patches, pending upstream intake.
Additionally, Linux kernel dev has Linux kernel newbies sites, right?

> I think the effort required to understand & use the mailing list workflow is
> quite significant at the start, then after a while you get used to it... but
> in my case I'd switch to the gitlab workflow as soon as it is available. It's
> very likely that others here would switch too if it was available.

My case is certainly the opposite.

--
Best regards,
Tadeus