Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 03:02:58 +0200

On 19.03.2019 20:15, Eli Zaretskii wro

Savannah UI and Savannah are not identical, far from that.

I wasn't saying that. I was saying, though, that the rest is not particularly unique as far as features go.

Such automated checking is n ot easy to set up, because the copyright
assignment database includes some details that are private and cannot
be exposed to public interfaces.  So someone will have to come up with
a service that publishes only the public parts of that, and even then
there will be some rare cases where a manual check will be needed.

If the Gitlab server is spinning somewhere inside the FSF infrastructure, it could access the copyright assignment database privately, be it via a private HTTP service, or some other way.

It is all too easy to disable/bypass the hooks, as you probably know
very well.  So this doesn't sound like an important issue to me.

I can find out, but no, I don't know/remember that well. I don't often have to deal with complex commit hooks.

Konstantin's point about aborting a commit and losing the already-typed commit message seems quite valid as well (not everybody uses VC, I guess).

Further, documentation could be in a separate commit

It shouldn't be.

Also please keep in mind that a significant fraction of Git users do haphazard commits and then rebase/amend them later before pushing.

If that was the only sentence in that message, I probably wouldn't
have responded at all.  The purpose of my response was to provide a
more balanced picture to those who might be unaware of the details.

I hope it was appreciated.