Re: gtags/ctags/etags/cscope support?

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: gtags/ctags/etags/cscope support?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 11:33:21 -0700

> Between global/gtags/ctags/etags/cscope which of them has been (|| will
> be) better supported in emacs. Because there are many packages around
> but I can't estimate their popularity.

I can talk about Cscope. It is a very different tool from the others
mentioned, since it supports only C (the Cscope web page claims it is
useful for C++ and Java, but I think that is being generous).

There are a lot of Cscope interfaces for GNU Emacs. In 2017 I looked
at most of them and concluded that Robert Jarzmik rscope[1] was the
most robust and easiest to work with. In particular, it worked very
well with Tramp.

I wanted something that was based on compilation-mode and followed
modern GNU Emacs conventions (in particular, multi-occur), so I took
Jarzmik's work and made a package called rcscope[2]. I have not
submitted it to ELPA/MELPA yet, because I want to add editing
functionality that works in the same way as wgrep-mode, and clean up
some mistakes I made in how configuration is done, before releasing.
It should be straightforward to add ivy support to the package.

Vladimir

[1] https://github.com/rjarzmik/rscope
[2] https://github.com/vsedach/rcscope