Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 00:01:16 +0200

On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 11:10:46PM +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:30:10 +0200
From: Ergus <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

If I set a different value to display-fill-column-indicator with
customize-variable and save; the display should be updated to use the
new value right? (display the indicator or hide it)

I have never used customize-variable, so maybe that's not the expected
behavior.

After changing the value, you need to click "STATE" and select "Set
for current session".  Did you do that?

Yes, I did, and there is not change.

I have a patch from some days ago applied here, sorry if this is
outdated, but I see something suspicious. After M-x customize-variable
display-fill-column-indicator-character :

Hide display-fill-column-indicator-character: nil
   State : STANDARD. (mismatch)
  Character to draw the indicator when ‘display-fill-column-indicator’ is non-n

That "nil" and "mismatch" are not right. This is the definition of the
variable in xdisp.c:

 DEFVAR_LISP ("display-fill-column-indicator-character",
Vdisplay_fill_column_indicator_character,
   doc: /* Character to draw the indicator when `display-fill-column-indicator'
is non-nil.
The default is U+2502 but a good alternative is (ascii 124) if
the font in fill-column-face does not support Unicode characters.  */);
 Vdisplay_fill_column_indicator_character = Qnil;
 DEFSYM (Qdisplay_fill_column_indicator_character,
"display-fill-column-indicator-character");
 Fmake_variable_buffer_local (Qdisplay_fill_column_indicator_character);

I know next to nothing about those macros, but look suspicious.

Yes, I observe a similar behavior. Look the attachment. The value is
nil but the indicator is shown.