Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Alex Gramiak
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 15:56:25 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I wonder if I'm the only one here who feels that way.  I mean, one of
> the more important advantages of Emacs is that it lets you do many
> things only tangentially related to editing program sources, and now
> we suddenly are willing to give that up?  Really??

I imagine that most of the people advocating for a switch to platforms
like Gitlab don't want to give that up; instead, the browser would just
be an alternative for people who don't (perhaps yet) want to (or know
how to) do it in Emacs all the time. I'm one of the people that would
like Emacs development to switch to Gitlab (or suitable equivalent), but
would still plan to do most contributions through Emacs for the reasons
you described.

A problem here seems to be that Gitlab, outside of its browser workflow,
doesn't currently offer some niceties that are to be expected, but
hopefully this discussion helps to nudge the right people to work on
these features there.

If switching to Gitlab was given the OK by you and other core
contributors after the desired features are available in Gitlab, then
work on an Emacs frontend for Gitlab (that can be put in ELPA) would be
much more enticing.